You can enjoy the following sports and other activities locally. See also the calendar of the best times of year to do these sports.
· Beaches and Swimming. You can swim at Miami at the south end of the lake (you get a 20% discount on the entrance fee when you stay at one of our apartments - ask for details). For those staying in Orta San Giulio, there is a small free beach called Ortello, on the south side of the Orta peninsular, just 300 metres from the centre of Orta San Giulio. Miami Beach, at the south end of the lake (visible from the main lakeside road), has all facilities, including deck chairs, sun loungers, sun shades, lifeguard, pedalos, kayaks, food ranging from icecream to sandwiches to plates of pasta or salad, and a full bar. Their web site is www.spiaggiamiami.com. About 400 metres from the Orta San Giulio roundabout, on the road north towards Omegna, you'll find on the left the car park for Luci sul Lago. A path leads down to the paved "beach" which has sunloungers and sunshades, and the popular cafe/pizzeria/restaurant which is right next to the beach. For more details see their website www.lucisullago.com. You can also swim at the Lido di Gozzano at the south end of the lake, and at Lagna Beach on the west side, near Pella, and at many other places around Lake Orta.
· Ondaland. There is a very popular waterpark about 40 minutes drive south of Lake Orta, with wave-pool, waterslides, watertubes, for all ages, including some facilities for just younger children. Get there in good time, the free sun-loungers and sun shades go quickly! Web site www.ondaland.it
· Alpyland and the Mottarone Bob Coaster. This special attraction at the top of the Mottarone is an amazing and unique Bob Run, more details on the Local Sights page. To get a feel for it, see the You Tube video at www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh2phaMibFI. Open all year round.
· Cycling. Lake Orta is superb for cycling! All the walks we provide are suitable for mountain biking too, being almost entirely off the road, so suitable for children too. For those with road bikes there are some superb trips including the ascent of the Mottarone (though some may prefer the cable car up from Stresa!), followed by a long descent...! A wide range of well maintained bikes can be hired from Sport è Bike, in Omegna, Via Fratelli di Dio 61), telephone 339-592.4089 (note new mobile number), run by Massimo, from just 10 per day or 40 per week. In Orta San Giulio, some bikes may be available for hire from the Welcome Point (Via Poli 5, telephone 0322-905.188).
· Thermal Baths. There is a new (2008) thermal baths at Premia, about 45 minutes drive from Lake Orta, on the road north beyond Domodossola. Inside and outside pools, wellness centre offering various treatments. Web site www.premiaterme.com. This is natural spring water (comes out the ground at 44°C) with naturally occuring high levels of calcium sulphate.
· Horse Riding. You can take lessons (in English) or do trekking at the Fattoria del Pino (at Miasino). Details are in your location pack. There are also stables at Invorio and Monte Oro.
· White Water Rafting. You can do rafting and kayaking and more at Balmuccia, in the Val Sesia (the Sesia is next major river valley to the west of Lake Orta). To get there, from Pogno (on the west side of Lake Orta) take the Cremosina pass, then descend to the valley and drive through Varallo Sesia. For more details see web site www.monrosarafting.it
· Motorboat hire is available from Pella Marina (Via Buonarroti 14, Pella - ask for Domenico). A 40hp boat big that can carry 7 people costs 180 for a hire from 10am to 6pm. Download pictures of the available boats, the motorboat tariff sheet for 2016, and an overview of equipment for hire from Pella Marina (pdf files).
· Kayaks and Standup Paddles can be hired from Pella Marina (Via Buonarroti 14, Pella - ask for Domenico). Sit on kayaks are 7 per hour or 35 per day, and Aero Standup Paddles are 10 per hour or 40 per day. Download 2016 kayak tariff sheet or 2016 standup paddle tariff sheet (pdf files).
· Bicycle, Vespa Scooter, and Boat hire. Living Lake offers a range of bicycles for hire at low rates, plus vespa scooters, and motor boats. Hire point at Ghiffa on Lake Maggiore, and a new (2013) hire point at Omegna (Forum di Omegna, Parco Maulini 1, Omegna). Full details on www.livinglake.net. This is a new recommendation, please feed back to William your experience if you use Living Lake.
· Poetry. The Poetry on the Lake festival is held in late September every year in and around Orta San Giulio and neighbouring villages. The Patron of Poetry on the Lake is the British Poet Laureate, Carol Ann Duffy. Full details on the festival web site www.poetryonthelake.org
· Wine. The local villages of Gattinara, Ghemme and Sizzano offer excellent red wines. Further afield, to the South East of Turin, is the home of the world-class Barolo.
· Windsurfing. Available at the Hotel Giardinetto, at Pettenasco.
Share this page? Tweet
|Home |||Terms | Compare |||Enquiry | News | Site Map | Offers | About|